Dreaming of Picasso

Monday, December 12, 2005

Why pay 150K when you can pay 50K

Every time, I talk to my boss about supporting my part time MBA costs, my manager invariably asks me the following questions/comments
- why do you want to apply to Fuqua or Wharton when you can apply to Santa Clara and get the same education
- It is not about the brand but how much you can learn.

Having worked for about 9 years now, one thing that I can definitely say is that - who you know is as important as ( perhaps more than) what you know. A part of the reason for attempting to try and get into the top schools is to get access to the invaluable network. I personally do not think that just an MBA will help me get out of the technically focused work..I would have to do something else. What else ?- specifically, I still don't know but I do have some semblance of a plan in place. One of the really good things that have happened is that all the introspection for the MBA applications have helped me define a more concrete set of long term and short term goals.

I am hoping that with an MBA, I will be able to broaden my perspective and hopefully will be able to construct more comprehensive plans and also realistically evaluate the risks associated with an idea. One thing is for sure and this is my own observation - the quality of applicants seem to vary with the type of schools. A information session for Wharton/Duke seems to attract a different set of people than the ones I have seen at Santa Clara/Peperdine information session. When I say different, I am talking about the range of experiences and industries. A significant part of the MBA experience is to learn not only from the professors but also from my peers.

Ah well, I am hoping that I will be able to convince my boss and the upper management to shell out as dough as possible for the MBA:)


Related Link:
http://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/stories/2005/08/08/focus1.html

3 Comments:

  • Thanks! I have everything on my body crossed at this point. I totally agree with you regarding the network. I think that beyond the amazing resources such as faculty and guest speakers you get at top schools it is all about the brilliant people that sit beside you in class. I heard Haas already started sending out interview invites for the part time program. How is that going?

    By Blogger Marina, at December 13, 2005 9:08 AM  

  • The Haas invites have started and I am anxiously waiting for them. Last week , I got an email from Haas but it said that my "application is complete" is being reviewed. Ah!! the perils of the waiting game.

    By Blogger FooBarMe, at December 13, 2005 1:13 PM  

  • Awesome post ! Well, my boss had the same question, when I told him that I was planning on applying to the University of Chicago's part-time MBA...All the best !

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 06, 2006 11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home