Dreaming of Picasso

Friday, December 23, 2005

The Fuqua update

So I get this email titled "The Duke MBA -- application update" and my heart almost sinks. The most horrible thoughts come to my mind. If this was a good decision then why did I not get a call from the adcom. In any case, I tell myself that I still have some more applications to go and I should focus now on getting them on the mark.

I open the email and find that the email is informing that my application is still being considered and that the admissions office will close for the holidays. I heave a sigh of relief that at least it is not the "ding" email.

Shortly thereafter, I get another email from the admissions committee. This time I was not so neurotic because I just found out that my application was still being processed. But I was mistaken. It seems the admissions committee has had some discussions on my applications and they have some "concerns". The email then proceeds to tell me that I do fit the profile of a Fuqua student and they think I am a good fit. Then it says something to the effect of -" ... Please call after the winter break as we would like to share our discussions with you. We also want to let you know that the discussion should be very positive"

My pessimistic side says that this might be the call to put me in a wait list or worst case a "ding with feedback". My optimistic side says that they have some minor concerns that they want me specifically clarify.

I do not think there is any point worrying about this till 2006 so I am trying to put my mind at ease.

4 Comments:

  • That is pretty mean of them to send that email. Would it really have made that much of a difference to send it on January 2nd???

    By Blogger Marina, at December 23, 2005 10:56 PM  

  • I totally agree..but I am thinking that if it was a ding they would have just sent me the email stating that " thanks for applying... blah blah blah.. lots of qualified people...blah blah blah .. but you dont fit in"

    By Blogger FooBarMe, at December 23, 2005 11:21 PM  

  • I think it is impressive that they actually want to spend time and "discuss" stuff with you, instead of making assumptions and coming to wrong conclusions!

    By Blogger qzoink, at December 24, 2005 8:52 AM  

  • wow, that IS unnerving! I am sure it means that you are still in the running and they are impressed enough with your application to talk you about whatever concerns they have.

    By Blogger Single, at December 27, 2005 4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home