Dreaming of Picasso

Monday, March 06, 2006

The killing wait

My mind has been going full throttle on the obsession freeway after reading a post on the Haas moderated message board. All I have been able to think over the past weekend are the upcoming decisions for Haas and Tepper. Suddenly, my mind is racing with all possibilities - one of them being, what happens if I get waitlisted? I have been told that unless you are an absolute shoe in, Haas loves to put round one applicants in the waitlist purgatory because the volume of round two applications is almost double the number of round one applications. For me, this situation is as good as a ding because I have to send the admission deposit for Duke by the end of next week.

I almost envy my fellow blogger mbajackass' relaxed attitude about this decision wait. Although, I would probably choose Duke over Tepper, I still really want to get a positive admission decision. I really don't know why- may be it is because I have put in the effort to get the application, and the interview, and now I just want to see the magic words in the ApplyYourself system. I was told that Tepper just sends an email update stating that the admission status has changed.

I can almost predict that the next 10 days will be full of obsessive compulsive behavior.

5 Comments:

  • As the deadline for the second round of application was March 1st, the Haas AdCom would have a good idea of the total number of applicants.

    It will be hard to digest, if they start putting the major pool into the waitlist mode.

    Anyways, lets hope for the best..:)

    Fingers crossed.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 07, 2006 8:55 AM  

  • To anonymous:
    True, Haas will have a total count of the number of applications recieved. That however doesnt translate to the fact that the adcom will not have a qualitative undestanding of these applications.

    So what I am saying is that if you are not an absolute "shoe-in" they are more likely to waitlist you. One of the reason for this is most B-Schools including Haas want a diverse intake. Being in the bay area, there are certain demographics that are over subscribed. It therefore implicity becomes harder for the adcom to make a choice and they probably want to defer the final decision by issuing a waitlist.

    The total % of applicants( based on the recieved applications) are almost the same for both the rounds. So number wise there will be a lesser number of admits handed out for round one.

    BTW: I am sure you probably know this but the titbit about the volume of applications came from http://messageboard.chatuniversity.com/ewmba/default.asp?action=9&read=28197&fid=535


    Best of Luck to you...

    By Blogger FooBarMe, at March 07, 2006 12:31 PM  

  • That was a useful link.

    I am so tried of waiting that I do want them to make a decision (either way) rather than keeping me wait for longer.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 07, 2006 2:57 PM  

  • we're all feeling it now... good luck with decisions =)

    By Blogger SgHama, at March 07, 2006 6:06 PM  

  • Good luck! Come on, Haas! You know you want, foobar!! :-)

    By Blogger i_will_make_it, at March 08, 2006 7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home