Dreaming of Picasso

Friday, February 10, 2006

Tepper Interview - Done!!

The Tepper interview is _done_ and the journey that began with the GMAT preparations in June 2005 is nearing its last phase.

The Tepper interview started on time. I usually try to arrive at a interview location 15-20 minutes ahead of time and usually listen to my ipod to just relax myself. This time I was so absorbed into the music that I did not notice my interviewer approaching me at the hotel lobby till the last minute. I fumbled with my ipod but recovered with a beaming smile and a firm handshake.

The lady from the adcom thanked me for coming to the information session the previous evening. The interview started with a question about my educational background and why I chose my major. This was an easy question for me because I really had a strong reason for pursuing my undergrad. There was the usual question about my job. I proceeded to explain my current job and how I progressed to my existing position. She quickly pointed that since I am doing so well, why I wanted the MBA. I came back with a quick explanation of my goals and how I planned to execute my plan while I was working. This in my mind was a good move because in the next question she asked me about my concentrations I was interested in. Once I mentioned my concentrations - she asserted that given my goals, my concentration choices looked like a perfect fit. She proceeded to explain that this information was really helpful as it helped adcom figure out the right mix of students for a given class. The standard why Tepper was followed with yet another standard question - Tell me something unique about yourself. I like to travel and proceeded to tell some of travel experiences and how I found myself adapting to unusual situations and thinking on my feet when I traveled. She asked me my favorite place and why? The interview ended with the obligatory questions for the interviewer.

The interview was scheduled for 30 minutes and lasted for 45 minutes. I had a nice time in the interview. When I was done, we had a little bit of chit-chat about the great California weather and I suggested some "local" places to eat. I felt that the interview went well and I was super relaxed. May be it was because I knew I was already admitted to Duke and may be because this was my third interview and I have gone through these questions several times. In any case, I was able to highlight the data based teaching approach and why it would make sense to me. I was able to highlight Tepper's collaboration with WHU in Germany, and how it aligned with my goal of eventually doing business in East Europe. I was able to highlight the fact that I got a lot of input from current students and was able to align my short term and long term goals.

As I was driving back from the my interview, I happened to pass my GMAT test center and it just reminded me of my MBA journey.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home