Dreaming of Picasso

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Application Status: File Under Review

The online status of my Haas online application has changed from "Interview" to "File Under Review". I complete my interview today and lets say it was not what I had expected.

The interview started about 15 minutes late ( I had checked in 10 minutes before ) and interview lasted exactly 30 minutes as indicated in the email. The interviewer introduced herself ( just mentioned her name and thanked me for coming) and then proceeded to explain that she would like to leave some time at the end for questions, but mostly this is would be a one sided conversation. She had two/three questions that she wanted to ask in the 25 minutes or so we had. The two questions were
- Just go through the resume, tell me about yourself and highlight some examples of leadership from the resume
- What are your short term and long term goals

For the first question, I through my interests, a little bit about my volunteer work with museums and then it was off to explaining work. I gave three examples of areas where I took leadership and what the final outcome. I plugged my promotion and the fact that I have survived over several layoffs and the encouragement from my management to pursue the MBA. I also mentioned what I saw my limitations were and why an MBA would be useful.

For the second question, I gave my short term and long term goals. I knew time was running out so I tried to also mention that some of the things at Haas like its global management focus, have a social outlook etc were integral to my long term goals.

I definitely feel that I did a whole lot better than the Wharton Interview but I missed out on mentioning the great community at Haas. When I look back, since only two questions were asked I have this uncanny feeling - did I "hijack" the interview? I honestly don't know, the more I self analyze the interview, the more I feel I could have done better.

Well, now it is a done deal... Best of Luck to me. Decisions will be announced on Mar 15 2006.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home