Dreaming of Picasso

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Tepper Flex Mode

I have got some emails asking about what's this Tepper Flex Mode MBA. Actually it is pretty simple, if you live in the San Francisco Bay Area, you get to attend the Tepper MBA program right from here. The classes are help 2 times a week in Moffett Field,CA and they start at 3:00 Pacific and go up to 7:00 Pacific. Why 3:00 in the afternoon one may ask. It is because the actual classes are being taught in Pittsburg from 6:00 Eastern -10 Eastern and the classes are broadcast using video conferencing technology.

That immediately raises concerns about how interactive will the classes be and is it helpful. My opinion on this is that it is fairly interactive and for me it really does not make that much of a difference because most of the work I do is in Virtual environments ( lots of webex and netmeetings). For someone who is not used to working in a fully distributed environment, it would be worthwhile to sit in the classes before making the decision if this mechanism will work you.

The networking opportunities will be limited primarily to the fellow classmates, which would be around 20 people. Some of the activities like the study abroad will not be possible ( unless your employer gives you 8 weeks off).

On the positive side, they have lots of avenues to do specific independent studies. In my opinion, that is a big plus because I can choose specific topics that relate to my daily work and use them. As far as industry related seminars and networking opportunities, they do have regular sessions in the evenings and since I want to stay in this area, I think those opportunities will be invaluable. One of the problems with any part-time program is that between work and the course work, there will be little time left. So that absence of clubs and other activities is something most part time students tend to forego.

Given my objectives, it is a good fit- I like the school, the students seem excited about the program, and the faculty seem to love the school. This is a tricky program and in my opinion one would have to sit in classes, visit the CMU-West campus and decide if this is the right program for them.

1 Comments:

  • I am pretty darn happy about NYC as well. I always think it is so pathetic for people to try and pretend you can truely say one school is better then the next. Plus - by that moron's reasoning everyone who gets into the "top 5" will always get into Columbia - which is simply bogus.

    In regards to the MtView program, I actually interviewed with Tepper the day of the MBA World Fair and I was very impressed with the school. I aksed a lot of questions about the remote program and it appeared to be fantastic!

    By Blogger Marina, at January 06, 2006 10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home