Dreaming of Picasso

Sunday, January 15, 2006

The joys of a long weekend

I have been meaning to take a day off in which I would do nothing remotely related to an MBA. So yesterday, my boyfriend and I decided to do the day in the city. It started with a lunch at Asia de Cuba and ended at the a small French restaurant -Le Metro on Divisadaro. In the middle, we took detours to the Asian Museum of Art and the De Young museum that I had been dying to go to since it reopened in October 2005. Anyways there was a slight dent in the plan. We wanted to go to the Russell Peters show at Warfield but the tickets were sold out completely. I like trying out new restaurants this time of the year thanks to the "Dine About Town" event held every year at a relatively reasonable price especially during the lunch. The Asian Musuem of Art had a special exhibit about 18th century painter from Kyoto. I was really intrigued by the relative simplicity of the techniques used by the Japanese artists. Unlike most western techniques of art in the 18th century (like romanticism) in which paint is used all over the canvas to get the details of the subject, the Japanese painters left most of the canvas in its natural state.The paintings were extremely realistic. I had planned for the "fun" day into my schedule so that I would not feel guilty about skipping interview preparation.

BTW, the observation tower at De Young is remarkable. The view of San Francisco is truly spectacular and if you are not into art, don't worry... the entrance to the observation tower is free. The usher at the base of the tower told us that on Saturday close 10,000 people visited it, and I am not surprised.

When I returned back home, there was a email from Fuqua waiting for me. It was an email from the adcom member I had spoken to earlier and she just replied to my "thank you" note. In a nutshell - I am still in the running.

I have been preparing for the interview and I have had two sets of mock interviews with some really good feedback. I am hoping that all goes well and hopefully I will not sound rehearsed during the interview. I plan to go through my essays/resume one more time, get my clothes in order, and try to get a good nights sleep. I have taken a 1/2 day off from work on Tuesday because the last thing I want is to fight some "fire" the moment I get into work. These sort of things seem to happen at the most inopportune moment . For example, the day before my GMAT, my boss sends me an IM for this urgent task that she needs some help with and it had to be done by the close of business day. I finish the task late into the evening but my whole plan to relax before the D'Day goes up in smoke. Thankfully the GMAT went OK.

In any case, I am still having a relaxing weekend. Since Monday is a holiday, I will be doing some more reading and preparation. I honestly feel a little bit of nervousness but I hope that it will all work out in the end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home