Dreaming of Picasso

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

The "Fit"

When I first started looking at MBA programs I kept hearing about a good "fit". I honestly didn't know what "fit" really meant. I had looked into the rankings and everything, but I really did not get the "fit" part that people (like alumni) kept talking about. Recently, I attended the Anderson information session and it just hit me that after 8 months of looking around, I guess I have my definition of what might constitute a good "fit".

1. Does the MBA program align with my career goals?
I have some idea of my career goal. I have heard several times that going through an MBA is an transformational experience and consequently I am sure some of my career goals might change. If one does not have a good idea about the one's career goals then in my opinion it is difficult to judge MBA programs.

2. Can I see myself with being a part of the "current students"?
This was a make or break decision for me. A part of the reason for pursuing an MBA is to develop my network. Different schools have different personalities and if ones personality matches, I believe it is possible to effectively leverage the network.

3. Does the marketing "fluff" thrown during information session add up?
For example, if an MBA program advertises that their alumni has made strides into senior management then I tend to believe these statements when I some examples of that especially in alumni panels. This was extremely necessary for me because I was looking at part time programs and I wanted to see what people did after they graduated.

4. What is the excitement level of the people I meet from the school?
Excited and enthusiastic people a big plus. Do I really need to say more.

It took me a while to get this figured out. Once I did, it became a lot more easy for me to identify the buzz behind the "fit".

1 Comments:

  • I couldn't agree more. The further along I was in my goals essay and the deeper I explored my true reasons for going to school - the better I could see the "fit" with certain schools. Call me judgemental, but I think it is pointless to drop $120K when you have NO clue what you want to do with the MBA.

    I can definitely see your reasoning behind the two countries!

    By Blogger Marina, at January 25, 2006 12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home