Dreaming of Picasso

Friday, May 05, 2006

MBA Update and more about bob

This week, I did two things MBA related
- Filled up the "Statement of Intention to Register" for Haas, UC Berkeley
- Filled up the online form for Tepper to let them know that I will not be joining their class

But more importantly, I had two rather interesting conversations with Bob - the guy who has asked me to write recommendation letters for B-School.

The first one was a bit edgy. Bob thinks that he is a very competitive candidate because he has a great profile( Gmat in mid 700, GPA close to 4 - very well known public university), so feels that he will be a great catch. I explained to him that my research had indicated that essays, extra curricular activities, and recommendation letters are equally important, and that great stats do not always translate into admissions. I also explained that to do a good job, I would like additional input to write a good letter. I had a feeling that this meeting did not go very well.

Yesterday evening , he dropped by and mentioned that he had been doing some additional research and he will be spending more time researching the US Schools. He plans to apply to Insead for the time being, and he did give me additional material to help me craft a decent letter.

Anyways, now I am twiddling away with the recommendation letter. Writing a recommendation letter is not easy.

8 Comments:

  • Hmmm... do you like Bob? Rule number 1 in choosing recommenders - get someone that likes you!!!

    Your posts give the impression that you think Bob is a little full of it... maybe i'm misreading this but it doesn't seem ideal..

    By Blogger SgHama, at May 05, 2006 3:06 AM  

  • Are you sure bob is not reading this blog? :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 05, 2006 8:32 AM  

  • Hmm... that's difficult. We all begin like that though, don't we? Type A, headstrong, "I know I can rule the world" mentality. And many of us have to go through the same process in order to understand it for ourselves - hey, there are plenty of ivys, 4.0's, 780's out there. Then we become another fish in the sea.

    I'm glad you are talking openly to bob. It's difficult dealing w/ people's emotions & sensitivity - but sometimes a quick reality check is needed or people never learn.

    Did you specifically tell Bob what additional input might be of help? A resume, essay, sample rec, even a copy of his insead app if he has no idea what else to give you. Good luck!

    By Blogger i_will_make_it, at May 05, 2006 9:45 AM  

  • I would suggest not writing his reference letter if you do not feel very great about him, but that is my personal opinion.

    By Blogger Unknown, at May 05, 2006 10:05 AM  

  • Yeah..I am with sghama. It sounds like you might not be Bob's biggest cheerleader and that might show through on the recomendations.

    By Blogger Marina, at May 05, 2006 10:08 AM  

  • Actually, I like Bob, and he has given me a lot better idea about what he put in his essays.

    I do feel, by having the frank conversation probably put a different perspective. So a part of my struggle has been how to put my best foot forward. Writing your own essays is one thing, writing for someone else is a different thing.

    On a related note, I asked him if he was unsure about me writing the letter, but after the second conversation, I feel good overall.

    By Blogger FooBarMe, at May 05, 2006 12:40 PM  

  • I like your new pic as well!

    Just ordered my Thinkpad!!! I am so impulsive :)

    By Blogger Marina, at May 05, 2006 3:49 PM  

  • I don't feel there is anything wrong in being confident. Being from an ivy having 780 GMAT does tell one that he is academically strong and is definitely not a dime a dozen thing and is most definitely an asset. Apart from focusing on his intellect you do have to mention his drive, his decision making, his listening ability and whether you think his progress with you is reflective of what he could achieve further.

    By Blogger dhoomketu, at May 10, 2006 5:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home