Dreaming of Picasso

Friday, April 07, 2006

Statistics Statistics

I am finally enrolled in a Statistics class. The Statistics class is a pre requisite for the Haas EWMBA program. Haas provides a list of classes but there are almost always questions on this topic (or atleast I had some). I will be summarizing some of the findings and options that are available to Round One admits and Round Two applicants.
  • Waiver Exam: They are held twice a year. There is one coming up on May 6. Pass this one and you are ready to go. This is cheapest option. Just buy the suggested reading material study and take the waiver. There is no cost to take the waiver exam.

  • Take a class: There are several approved classes that are available in the bay area but there are some small caveats - Don't go for the online version of the classes as they are not approved (unless someone gets special permission from the Haas). The spring semester for a lot of the local community starts in January so for someone looking at this options become slightly limited. I am aware of two colleges that are on the quarter system and the Spring quarter will start on Monday. It is not too late as one can go and attend the first class and get added to the classes. DeAnza college has a variety of evening classes and Foothill college has one class. The summer classes like the one at Evergreen college may also be a good option, especially for round two admitted students. This is next expensive option. The cost of the class is about $100 and the cost of books/calculator is about $200.

  • Take a online class: The approved class is offered by the UC Berkeley Extension. This is probably the most convenient and is the most expensive option -$705. I think that the cost of the book is additional.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I was keen on the taking the classes because I did not want to be stressed out for the waiver exam. But now, I just need to make sure that I follow the class regularly and finish with a B.

4 Comments:

  • Hey foobarme,

    Thanks for the very informative posts. I'm considering crashing one of the three evening offerings of Math 10 at DeAnza this week. All of the classes are full.

    Haas R2 applicant here, so I don't know if I'm even in yet but I'm cautiously optimistic. My other option is pursuing a Kellogg waitlist but I'm not even sure if I'd go now even if I got off the waitlist. Your PT vs FT posting a few weeks ago highlighted some of the same arguments I've had with myself.

    Good luck to you and hope to see you in Berkeley in the Fall.

    IZ

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 10, 2006 12:59 AM  

  • Hi Foobarme,

    Congratulations on being nominated for the 2006 Clear Admit Best of Blogging Awards. If you would like to weigh in with your opinion on the most enjoyable and helpful blogs of the past year, we would love to have your input. Just email bestofblogging@clearadmit.com, and we can forward you this year’s ballot. Thanks in advance, and good luck!

    By Blogger Clear Admit, at April 10, 2006 9:13 AM  

  • I think it's great to take the course as a review, especially if you haven't touched the stuff for awhile. I'm thinking of taking a pre-Accounting class myself, because I've heard the course in b-school is really fast paced.

    By Blogger i_will_make_it, at April 10, 2006 5:38 PM  

  • Anonymous, foobarme: I am a Haas PT admit as well. But I am not sure Haas is such a good idea for me. I am a bay area resident but I am leaning towards the Duke Cross Continent myself. Duke really rolled out the red carpet for me. They have gone to great lengths to welcome me. Didn't get the same love from Haas. In fact I thought I was lucky I got into Haas. The interviewer was really rude and I kept thinking they would ding we until they called. This plus the fact that the Haas program takes 3 years have turned me off Haas. Anyways, good luck to you folks.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 10, 2006 7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home