Dreaming of Picasso

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

The Haas Reception

Yesterday, I attended the reception at Haas for the EWMBA admitted students. The evening started with some finger food and a nice opening speech from Dean Tom Campbell. Dean Campbell outlined some interesting stats about Haas and the Student body
~ 40% of incoming students had advanced degrees
~ 500,000 living Berkeley alumni more than any other school including Harvard, Wharton etc.

One of the things that I came to know out of this reception was that as of last year the part time students have the same access to career resources and on campus recruiting as the full time students. This priviledge is extended to all the part time students irrespective of the level of support from the employers. This was a big distinguishing factor from Duke, where if a student is supported by the employer( time or money) then the student would have to get written permission from the employer to participate in campus recruitment. Good for me, I am choosing Haas.

I also had an opportunity to talk to Dean Campbell 1X1 for almost 5-6 minutes. He was downright friendly and we spoke a bit about his political background. I was also very impressed with the fellow admitted students. While a lot of them were from the high tech companies, they were not Engineers. In fact, I met only two engineers out of the 20 odd people I talked.

All in all, the reception was great and my $1000 deposit is now in the mail.

8 Comments:

  • "I was also very impressed with the fellow admitted students. While a lot of them were from the high tech companies, they were not Engineers. In fact, I met only two engineers out of the 20 odd people I talked."

    Should I interpret that engineers don't impress you ?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 06, 2006 11:11 AM  

  • To Anonymous,
    There is a common perception based on my observations, that everyone thinks that at Haas, the a great majority of student body( for EWMBA) are engineers.

    Engineers have very impressive resumes and at the same time time, I want to learn from other sorts of people with diverse roles. In the business school context, I would like to have a more diverse class because to me a business school one has learning opportunities both from professors as well as their fellow students.

    Disclaimer: I have an engineering background.

    By Blogger FooBarMe, at April 06, 2006 11:54 AM  

  • I agree. After being around engineers day in and day out, it's nice for the diversity. :-) Sounds like Haas is a great fit for you.

    By Blogger i_will_make_it, at April 07, 2006 12:39 AM  

  • zDid you see you are one of the nominees on Clear Admit? Congrats! =o)

    By Blogger BigAppleNosh, at April 07, 2006 7:56 AM  

  • Hi.
    I am wondering what is this reception all about? I am a ewmba R2 applicant, and like many others, although I have interviewed with Haas, I won't get to know the decisions till June 1.
    So I am just curious to know why haas would hold a reception for R1 applicants (I am assuming you are one, based on your posts) and not wait to hold the reception for both R1 and R1 admitted students

    thanks

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 12, 2006 3:33 PM  

  • To Anonymous:
    They held a reception for R1 admitted students because we have to make up our mind whether we want to go to Haas by 04/12/2006 or something like that. There were folks who were trying to deciede between full time and part time and also between Haas and other part time programs like Duke.

    By Blogger FooBarMe, at April 12, 2006 11:37 PM  

  • Congrats on picking HAAS. Go Bears! :-)

    By Blogger KV, at April 15, 2006 12:47 PM  

  • Why would you leave a Wikipedia link to Tom Campbell?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 28, 2009 4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home