Dreaming of Picasso

Monday, July 24, 2006

Exploding Laptops, Parties and Networking

I was researching some laptops and I came across this article about a Dell Laptop exploding. It seems that this problem may not be an isolated one, so Dell is clearly off my list.

Apart from researching laptops, I have also spent some time socializing and networking with Haas classmates. So far, I have attended about 5 different events. They have ranged from events like Happy hours to small house parties hosted by classmates. While I have not utilized my networking skills like Marina to actually facilitate a smart career move, I do feel that my ability to meet new people and start of new conversations have improved significantly.

Recently, I was on a coast-to-coast flight, and I used my improved skills to strike with my neighbor. Turned out she was a executive at a major high tech firm. She was in coach because all the business class seats were sold out. We ended up having a fairly interesting conversation about managing change in companies - from product development dues to emerging trends, to changes introduced by mergers. It was truly an insightful conversation, and I felt better about my own abilities to start and carry out conversations with strangers. Ofcourse, I need to thank ChunkyPitbull, who had written up some great advice on networking about two years back.

My Statistics transcripts are finally in at Haas, so my final obstacle to matriculation is over. Classes start August 19th.

1 Comments:

  • The networking article is awesome. Thank you for including the link in your Blog.

    I belong to the m/w cohort and was admitted only recently

    Looking forward to meeting you in the orientation

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 27, 2006 1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home