Dreaming of Picasso

Monday, June 05, 2006

Am I quantified enough?

I was reading a post on application essays by wandering yogi and it reminded me of my struggles not so long ago. As I thought through the essay writing days, some points came to my mind.

- Quantify Results
Almost everyone applying to B-School will have numerous success stories. I was told by several applicants that a key to making essays powerful was to quantify the outcomes. For every activity - Define the problem, how you solved it, what was accomplished and what did you learn from this. I narrowed my list down to three very powerful examples. In each of the cases, my problem had different dimensions to them - for example - organizational issues, revenues and schedule issues. This allowed me to write about various abilities with just one example - a strategy that was very useful for questions that have word limits.

-Highlight Failures
I extensively used examples of my failures to highlight two things - I have introspected enough to know my flaws and I have learned from my mistakes. These were excellent material for the personal essays - like tell us more about your childhood etc.

-Am I special?
There is a lot of talk about different pools of candidates- I took note of this issue and decided to tackle not by highlighting success, but by giving details about what makes me different. One of my good friends, read one of the drafts of my goals essays and said - If I did not know that this was written by you, I could have sworn that this could be anyone with a similar background. To correct this situation, I followed up with details of my plans, and explained in the essay, how I had derived these plans from my previous life experiences.

-I love this school
I would highly discourage applicants from writing things that appear in the publicity materials. However if you have spoken to an alumni who has helped shaped your goals, mentioning this may not hurt. I used this strategy by linking some of the conversations with an alumni who also happened to my recommender. Also conversations with current students helped me tremendously during the interview process.

Essay writing process was long winded for me and boy!! was I thrilled to get over with it. Best of luck -applicants for the class of 2009.

In other related MBA news, after the Haas round two decisions, the yahoo group has been abuzz with activity. I was so thrilled to see folks from every walk of life - I am so looking forward to learning from all these people.

7 Comments:

  • Foobarme,Thanks so much for the advice. I am applying to Haas this year (full time MBA) too :-). Which yahoo group are you referring to? Is it something for admitted applicants?

    By Blogger UniQpath, at June 06, 2006 10:18 PM  

  • > I was so thrilled to see folks from every walk of life

    Give me a break. I am on it. Over 70% are Engineers.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 08, 2006 3:13 PM  

  • Are you male or female? What is the name of the yahoo group? Are you coming to Tuesday's session?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 08, 2006 3:21 PM  

  • Male. Yup, I'll be there on Tue. If you're a Haas admit, you should've received the yahoo group invite from adcom.

    Frankly, I'm not satisfied with the class composition. Appears to be overwhelmingly slanted towards tech. Hopefully I'll be proved wrong.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 08, 2006 3:40 PM  

  • When I posted this entry, I did see a good number of people from different walks of life but I have to say that I jumped to a conclusion a bit too early.

    As I saw the database and the all the emails started flowing in..it seems like a good %age of the admitted folks have engineering backrounds.

    By Blogger FooBarMe, at June 08, 2006 9:12 PM  

  • It is amusing to see people introduce themselves on the yahoogroups page with a - I am thrilled to be part of this "diverse" class.

    Wonder what they're smoking..'coz I sure don't see the diversity that they do either :).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 09, 2006 10:42 AM  

  • are you planning to attend the happy hour today?

    By Blogger FooBarMe, at June 09, 2006 10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home