Dreaming of Picasso

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Tips for Admitted Students

My meeting with the "Tina"- the Haas Alumnus was awesome. After having done one casual lunch, I am truly tempted to do more. Here are some of my learnings after the meeting

- Waive Core Courses
Tina mentioned that consciously chose to waive some core courses, and that allowed her to take additional electives. She mentioned that this allowed her to take electives in areas that she was just "curious" about. Later in her career she found that these "extra" electives made her comfortable in taking up additional responsibilities that led to her career progression.

-Mix up the groups
Typically, people want to work with people who they like. The problem is that in a workplace, the teams that one works one is "assigned". Try to mix up the groups so that - 1 - you meet more people, and more people = better network, and 2 - you get the experience of working with a very diverse group of people, and this makes you an effective team player as well as a leader.

-Get involved
Part time applicants usually have a hard time balancing -Life,Work and School. Tina strongly urged me to get involved in at least one club. This allows one not only to expand the network but also communicates very positively to potential employers, because this signifies excellent time management skills.

In a nutshell, I thought these suggestions were very valuable because it gave me a sense of how to make most out of my MBA experience. I am wondering if other bloggers are also planning on doing some informational interviews, because this can be a great source of information for all of the admitted students.

1 Comments:

  • Hi Foobarme,

    I read from your blog that you obtained admission to both Tepper and Haas. I was wondering if you could divulge the reasons for choosing Haas over Tepper. Did the decision involve reasons beyond the networking aspects? I have seen various rankings which put Haas over Tepper and others which rank Tepper over Haas. So, the ranks seem to be kind of wishy washy. I am also under the impression that Tepper is strong on Finance. I appreciate any comment.

    Thanks

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 22, 2006 11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home