Dreaming of Picasso

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Hopes, Heartaches and Sour grapes

As the deadline for releasing the Haas EWMBA round two admissions decisions approached, I went back to my long lost addiction - browsing the businessweek forum. Having gone through the traumatic waiting process, I felt that I could empathize with potential applicants. As expected the Haas EWMBA thread was abuzz with activity.

Let me begin with hearty Congratulations!! to all of the newly admitted applicants. We are all rejoicing with the hope that this will lead us to better opportunities.

But a lot of people did not get the news they hoped for. The ugly side of B-School admissions is that no matter how much one tries, there will be some applicants who will not make it. I have been dinged, and it was the Stanford application. The way I looked at it - you cannot win every battle - but with persistence you will probably win the war.

Given that there were dings, there were also the rounds of emotional outbursts. While I can understand the pain of the ding, a public emotional response to me is the equivalent of the kids on American idol who curse the idol judges - makes TV entertaining but doesn't reflect well otherwise. I hope that applicants who feel strongly about the unfairness of the admissions process should wait before scheduling any feedback session, especially if they want to apply to the same school again.

Lastly, Best of Luck to all the waitlisted applicants.

6 Comments:

  • Just because you got in, it does not give you the right rub salt on our wounds

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 01, 2006 2:53 PM  

  • dude,

    I was a waitlist at Wharton and then I reapplied to finally make the cut and I totally agree with the anonymous poster. From reading your posts so far, you sound like the prude who will say "my shit doesnt stink" or some prude who really has his nose in the air. but honestly if you really "understand the pain of the ding" you shouldnt be making such remarks. you have just undone all the image you were trying to put up. even your other posts about BOB and his recommendation letters from you stink of some uptight whitey.

    either ways, i used to enjoy reading your posts until a few blogs ago. looks like the admit at haas got to your head.

    either ways i wish you the best of luck in your future endeavor

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 02, 2006 1:12 AM  

  • To the anonymous posters above:

    I was referring to the following conversation during my blog post.

    http://forums.businessweek.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=messages&tsn=197&tid=65570&webtag=bw-bschools

    If you feel that this is an acceptable behaviour, I guess we have to agree to disagree. I have always presented what my opinion is on a given topic - after all it is blog :)

    Congratulations anonymous 2 on the Wharton admit.

    By Blogger FooBarMe, at June 02, 2006 9:08 AM  

  • Looking at the some of the guys and gals who made into HAAS , boy i am glad i didnt make the cut. MBA is about learning from your team and colleagues but the material that got into HAAS this year...tons of crap...
    Women with 580 on the GMAT got in...GMAT is just one aspect ...but 580 come on...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 14, 2006 3:40 PM  

  • do business schools prefer women?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 23, 2006 1:22 AM  

  • what is their profile?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 23, 2006 1:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home