Dreaming of Picasso

Thursday, July 06, 2006

A Balancing Act

Last year about this time, I was deep into GMAT preparation. The thought of writing essays seemed like a formidable mountain. Now after getting admitted into the Haas EWMBA program some of the realities of getting back into a hybrid student life are setting in. Thankfully, I am not alone. The Businessweek forums have a discussion titled- "How to make the best of PT program?" that echoes some of the same concerns.

These concerns being
- How best to balance personal life, work and school
- How much time should I allocate for studying
- How will I apply what I learn into my professional life
- How to make the most of the networking events
and several others...

Incidentally, these concerns are not really new, and I was full aware of these when I made the decision to go apply for a part time program. The time management issues will require some serious prioritization from my side. I got a first hand sense of this as I was taking my Accounting and Statistics classes. Although, things seemed to be a bit chaotic in my life in the beginning, as the quarter progressed, I become more comfortable.

But apart from the time related issues, there are the concerns about making the most from the program. I am still trying to figure them out. Once I figure this out, I will post some pointers as to what worked and what did not work for me.

May be I should be enjoying and making the most of time now, since in a few short weeks, things will change for good ( or atleast the next 3 years).

4 Comments:

  • >>>> If you would like to prep before school, then perhaps you can pre-read the course material (i.e. text books/reading list) before the term, and try to grasb some concepts.

    >> That is a great suggestion and I am doing that as of now.

    So what exactly is this person reading before Haas classes begin?! Microeconomics and Accounting?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 07, 2006 4:40 PM  

  • I thought haas part time program is for 3 years. How r u in 2008 class?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 07, 2006 7:32 PM  

  • I plan to accelerate and finish by 2008

    By Blogger FooBarMe, at July 08, 2006 12:34 AM  

  • Good luck !! I would be interested on how one can accelerate the part-time program?

    Do you plan to have a seperate post on it?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 08, 2006 7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home